When I came across this recipe in my efforts to repopulate my recipe index, I realized that I had never attached a photo. Obviously that meant that I needed to make them right away so I could capture a photo to share!
This was one of my first forays into creating (or heavily adapting) my own recipes. As I read over the recipe before I began baking I also realized that I have learned so much about baking in the years since I originally posted this recipe – several things immediately popped out as glaring errors. My egg to flour and sugar ratio was off, the preparation method would result in a simply dense rather than fudgy texture, the ganache topping had insufficient cream so the end result would set too hard, etc. I took this opportunity to tweak, correct and refine the recipe.
Now, here is the updated, improved recipe – with photo!