This is a very sweet take on Apple pie. Another recipe from my mother that makes it to my Thanksgiving table every year.
Caramel Toffee Apple Pie
This is a very sweet take on Apple pie. Another recipe from my mother that makes it to my Thanksgiving table every year.Print Pin
Servings: 8 slices
- 2 pie crusts 9"-10" (recipe)
- 8 cups apples; peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar divided use
- 3/4 cup sugar divided use
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon or to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 6 oz crushed toffee (recipe)
- 1 beaten egg white
- coarse sugar (for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Fit 1 pie crust into a 9" deep dish pie plate, keep chilled until the filling is prepared.
- Sprinkle apples with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients for the apple filling, reserving 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar
- Toss the dry ingredients with the apples until well coated, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add the reserved brown sugar and white sugar and cook until deep amber in color.
- Stir in the vanilla and cream; the caramel may seize, continue stirring until smooth
- Add the apples and cook until the juices form a thick caramel syrup and the apples are slightly soft (about 5 minutes).
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in the butter to form coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the crushed toffee.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of the toffee streusel in the bottom of the prepared pie shell.
- Pour the apple filling over the toffee streusel. Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top of the filling.
- Place the second pie crust over the top of the filling and streusel; seal and crimp the edges.
- Cut vents in the top crust.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes; lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for about 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly cover the edges lightly with foil or a pie crust shield.