As I was putting away the week’s groceries this morning, I noticed that there were a couple “tag ends” of things in my refrigerator. There was about half a container of sour cream I had bought for a previous recipe (I typically use plain Greek yogurt, but this recipe was very specific about needing the sour cream) and somehow we had 2 partial bags of baby carrots and yet another unopened bag (don’t ask, I have no idea).
With 3 kids in the house, we always like to have some quick breakfast items on-hand, so I decided to see what I could come up with for a quick healthy, on-the-go breakfast item. These muffins fit the bill perfectly! The sour cream, grated carrots and applesauce keep the muffins incredibly moist without a lot of added fat from butter or oil and the oats add some healthy fiber as well as some additional vitamins and minerals and a bit of extra protein. The warm spiciness from the cinnamon and nutmeg keep the flavor profile in line with carrot cake and made for a definite hit with the kids.
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal quick cooking
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cup grated carrots packed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease or line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Blend together the sour cream, sugar, oil and applesauce in your mixing bowl. Once mixed, add the eggs one at a time to form a smooth mixture.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk the flour, oatmeal, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined.
- Mix in the grated carrots.
- Divide batter among the muffin cups. Fill the cups all the way to the top to achieve the “muffin top”.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 mins, then drop the temperature to 375 and bake for another 20-25 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean.