Caramel Apple Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping
These muffins are light and moist with flavors reminiscent of caramel apples at the fair. They are a perfectly sweet way to break your fast.
*Pecan Streusel Topping*
- 1/3 cup pecans (toasted)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup oats (quick cooking)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups apple (diced )
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided use)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Place all of the ingredients for the pecan streusel topping in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers mix the butter into the dry ingredients until you have a mixture resembling coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the diced apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice until the apples are well coated. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the sour cream and baking soda set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together 1/2 cup sugar and the butter.
- Beat in egg yolks two at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
- Stir milk and caramel into the sour cream mixture.
- Set your mixer on low and alternate adding flour and caramel mixtures. Mix just until combined; do not over mix.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue beating while gradually adding the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it. Fold in the remainder of the egg whites until just barely combined (some white may show in the batter).
- Gently fold in the apple and spice mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins filling about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle about 1 tbsp of streusel topping over the batter in each cup.
- Place the pans in the heated oven for 16-18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Store in a sealed container.